Monday, September 20, 2010

An Autograph, Please

When my eyes get exhausted by microfiche, I turn to the indexes to search for more microfiche to exhaust my eyes in the coming days. The indexes at this particular archive are a mixed bag and, as I have found that the geographical and name based indexes included for the indexes are generally incomplete, I have taken to speed reading for words like Chiapas and café instead.

Two finds from today, just the index description, transcribed, as I do not photograph or scan the indexes (could be useful, I suppose):

Victoriano Tibajo to President General Porfirio Díaz
March 8, 1878
Informing Díaz that a revolutionary Movement in Chiapas confiscated his musical instruments. Please have them returned or cover their costs; it was the music of a military band.

Frederic Remington, 'Drum Corps,' City of Mexico, 1889, New York Public Library Digital Gallery


Claribel Wise of Winterset Madison to President General Porfirio Díaz
March, 1878
Congratulating Díaz for the peace he has brought to his country and the termination of differences between Mexico and the United States. Also, might he not send her an autographed photo?

When the photo was requested, he looked quite dashing, I suppose, perhaps like this:


But this is the Díaz of whom we all think so fondly, autograph included:

No comments:

Post a Comment